LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I paid for a holiday that was booked in my ex girlfriends name

I paid for a holiday that was booked in my ex girlfriends name I also paid for hers she will not change the lead name to mine. Cost £2,250 including the £50 for name change.
Please advise.
Martin Davies
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

what outcome are you seeking here?

Customer:

Advise on how i can get my money back or even better still take my holiday 19 May with someone else.

Customer:

Hello?

Customer:

HELLO

LondonlawyerJ :

Do you have a copy of the contract for the holiday you paid for?

Customer:

no it was booked by herself

Customer:

she went to the travel agents booked holiday, i transferred money into her bank. When we finished i transferred the money for the other person plus an additional £50 to change the name

LondonlawyerJ :

If so what does it say about cancellation? When did you book it? Did you pay with a credit card (this may give extra time to cancel). What does the contract say about who is the customer and who is to go on the holiday? Is this a foreign holiday?

LondonlawyerJ :

My questions seem to have crossed with your answer. Sorry about that.

LondonlawyerJ :

So you gave her money and she then booked the holiday in her name for you both to go on together as a couple. She did this with your permission I assume. You are no longer together. Was the split acrimonious? Is she intending to go on her own?

LondonlawyerJ :

She is the one who entered the contract you appear to have no legal relationship with the holiday company and therefore no right to change the names, cancel the holiday or get money back.

Customer:

She told me she wouldn't go after we finished so i said i would buy her ticket, which i did. she was going to go there Easter Friday. The travel agents wont talk to me because of Data protection.

LondonlawyerJ :

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX holiday details then you may be able to still go on it. If she is intending to go with someone else then your intention to still go may lead her to negotiate. I assume this lady was a girlfriend rather than a live in partner or someone you have a child with etc. You may have a claim against her depending on what promises were made about the holiday and if they were broken by her but it is likely to be difficult to claim anything off her in the courts. Did she deceive you into paying for this holiday knowing she was planning to leave you and intending to go on her own/with a friend?

Customer:

I don't have the holiday details. She had no intention of going after we finished. I have the bank statements showing payment to her which totals £2,250.00

Customer:

I left her.

LondonlawyerJ :

I note you have given me poor service rating. This I guess was because I didn't reply immediately. This is not a call centre type service and like all the lawyers on this site I answer as quickly as I can but have to work it around other commitments. Like eating lunch on this occasion. I would be grateful if you would amend your rating.

Customer:

of course i will. i had not realised. all i saw you was not online.

LondonlawyerJ :

At the time it was booked you were a couple though and the split has come after. If she doesn't co-operate there is little you can do I am afraid, and recently dropped women tend not to co-operate with their recent exes.

Customer:

Can you not send her a text? small claims warning or something?

LondonlawyerJ :

I think all you can do is write/email her asking her to let you take the holiday and for her to do whatever is necessary to change it to your name. You could threaten to bring a claim in the small claims court for return of the money if she doesn't help. This link will take you to the Govt site for small claims. https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview The claim wouldn't have much merit though and the court may well decide that it was just unfortunate and a loss associated with the end of the relationship. The reasoning being the money was for a joint holiday, that is not now possible due to the break up so there is no claim You will have a better idea than me whether that sort of threat would work on your ex or not but there is no reason not to threaten her with a claim if you want to.

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.