12826847

Hi I was at the junction of kensington high street and church

Hi I was at the junction of kensington high street and church road in london today and was between two sets of traffic lights .they went red just as I got to them .i was waiting for them to turn green when a bus came from church road and forced me to go through them as due to the traffic he would have blocked the whole road .there are I believe safety or red light cameras on there .i am worried I will be fined

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have checked and there appear to be cameras there at that junction .is it likely I will be fined even though I had no choice but to move forward ? A van next to me had the same problem

it depends whether there was a camera there that captured you. Obviously that is entirely an operation of chance.

If you are saying that you went through a red light essentially because a bus put pressure upon you to do sothen that would offend I'm afraid. The law demands that you never go through a red light but you can go through an XXXXX XXXXXght only if failing to do so would cause a danger to safety.

The fact that a camera exists doesn't mean its recording which is the issue here.

If you have been noticed then you should get a NIP within 14 days of the offence. If not, its nothing to worry about.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could I appeal on the basis that unless I moved the bus would have blocked all of the high street which was already blocking due to the number of cars on the high street because if the tube strike .basically there was no choice at all but to move due to the bus forcing this either driver and myself to move .surely if I went through and the bus followed that should have been recorded
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Sorry for the delay. This didn’t upload.

I’m afraid that isn’t a defence though. The only defence would be if you went through an XXXXX XXXXXght and you did so to avoid a collision.

Causing a blockage is no defence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thinking about it the red light was for the traffic I was originally in,but when the bus turned from church street it would have had right of way and I am not sure if that means it had a green light go ahead which would mean that I was in front of it and would that mean it is ok for me to go? If I do get a letter what can I expect as I have that in central london you can be invited to go on to a course.would that be instead of a fine and penalty points ?
Obviously I haven't seen the configuration here.

You can be offered a red light awareness course. That depends on whether or not its available in your area though.

If it is not then you would get the fixed penalty of 3 points and a fine of £100.