UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a tenant renting a property. I renewed our agreement in

I am a tenant renting a property. I renewed our agreement in 2013 and due to not knowing whether I would be staying in the UK I agreed to a 3 month's notice period to give the landlord time to find a replacement tenant. I gave my 3 month's notice and agreed that if a tenant was found I would move out earlier or if not, stay the full 3 months. A tenant was found and an agreed moving out date was given. I made all arrangements to move out on the new agreed date and signed a new tenancy agreement elsewhere. The new tenant's agreement has now fallen through and the landlord wants me to pay for the full 3 months. Am I legally obliged to pay the full 3 months?

No, you are not so obliged as you were given an agreed moving out date and it is not your problem that the new tenant didn't work out.

Can I assist further?