UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a tenant renting a property. I renewed our agreement in

I am a tenant renting a property. I renewed our agreement in 2013 and due to not knowing whether I would be staying in the UK I agreed to a 3 month's notice period to give the landlord time to find a replacement tenant. I gave my 3 month's notice and agreed that if a tenant was found I would move out earlier or if not, stay the full 3 months. A tenant was found and an agreed moving out date was given. I made all arrangements to move out on the new agreed date and signed a new tenancy agreement elsewhere. The new tenant's agreement has now fallen through and the landlord wants me to pay for the full 3 months. Am I legally obliged to pay the full 3 months?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, you are not so obliged as you were given an agreed moving out date and it is not your problem that the new tenant didn't work out.

Can I assist further?