75100385

I have a small factory in Watford which I purchased about 25

I have a small factory in Watford which I purchased about 25 years ago. Behind the factory is a disused railway goods yard. About 15-16 years ago I fenced off an area approx. 120 sq/metres. I informed the local council planning department in 2002.

Can you tell me what are my legal rights to this land.

Jack Halsey

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you ever applied to the land registry for possession please?
Customer:

No.

Alex Watts : Ok, it's bad news you do not own the land,
Alex Watts : The rules changed a few years ago for adverse possession.
Alex Watts : You now need to occupy the land, excluding all others for a minimum of ten years.
Alex Watts : Once you have done that then you need to make an application to the land registry for adverse possession.
Alex Watts : The land registry will then notify the owner of your application and give them time to object.
Alex Watts : If the owner does not object or does not respond, the land is transferred to you.
Alex Watts : If the owner does object then your application for possession of the land fails.
Alex Watts : For more detailed guidance please aee
Alex Watts : see
Alex Watts : http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/professional/guides/practice-guide-4
Alex Watts : ans
Alex Watts : and
Alex Watts : http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/professional/guides/practice-guide-5
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Customer:

Thanks. The land is under a Council CPO. After occupying the land for such a long period am I entitled to any compensation?

Alex Watts : No, unless you are the owner.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer:

OK