UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My partner paid a big deposit on the house we are living in,

Customer Question

My partner paid a big deposit on the house we are living in, therefore she asked me to sign a legal document stating that if we were to sell the house, I will only get 10% of the value, however I have paid the mortgage for 25 years, can I challenge the document as I have paid all these years?
Many thanks in advance,
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you may challenge the document.

The best option woulod be to amicably negotiate with your Partner about the percentages and the fact that you should be entitled to a largfer share based on your contributions over the 25 years.

If that does not work, you may go to the courts to seek relief and a declaration that you should be entitled to a larger share on equitable grounds despite what you signed.

It is advisable to appoint a Solicitor if you wish to take the matter to court.

Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, it seems that the above contract was added to the title deeds, will that make my case more difficult? also my partner wants me out the house. However, I will have to continue to help with mortgage payments. Do I have to leave the house or can I stay until the house is sold?

Finally, I am not sure if the property is held as joint tenants or tenants in common, will the latter stop me from challenging the legal document?

If it has been registered against the title, it will be difficult for you to challenge it but the courts may still grant you relief if the courts feel necessary.

You may continue living in the property until it is sold.

No, this would really not make much difference to you challenging the document.

All the best, please leave feedback