Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My husband and I gifted our house to my daughter in 2010. In

Customer Question

My husband and I gifted our house to my daughter in 2010. In 2012 we wanted to move into sheltered housing, so my son in law gave us the money to buy the flat but as these are leasehold properties it had to go into our name and we signed an IOU to my son in law to safeguard the house, now my husband and I are splitting up and he wants his share, can the IOU block him from having his share.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify with you please what evidence there is that you gifted your house to your daughter? Presumably you signed a transfer deed to place the property in her name? Is there anything else that confirms the same was a gift?

Joshua :

Regarding the IOU to your son in law, did you and your husband both sign this and your SIL has a copy?

Joshua :

From what you say do I understand correctly that your husband has now essentially changed his mind about the gift / IOU and wants to take a share of money out of the property for himself?