Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Hi i had bupa care from my employer, In 2012 I needed

Hi i had bupa care from my employer, In 2012 I needed breast care as i found a lump, I rang bupa who gave me a code which covered consultation, mamagram, scan an another consultation for the results. I had the final bill which clearly stated nil. After a year i shred all correspondent which is not important.Recently i have received a letter from a lawyer stating that i owe £175.00 which i have written to on two occasions. They say that i am still liable for the money owing, I would like to know if they are right. I am annoyed that I had received a final bill which stated nil to pay which i unfortunately shredded. I have no proof as to an answer as i have have tried to ring bupa which as now changed hands. please help. Kind Regards
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask from whom you received a final bill stating nothing was owed please?

Joshua :

Who is chasing you for monies? Is this BUPA or someone else?

Joshua :

Could you kindly clarify what you mean by Bupa has changed hands?

Customer:

Hi thankyou for your quick response. The final bill was from bupa around june time i had the tests done in may. The final bill i received but after a year i shredded all correspondence that i seemed not importantant, that was one of them. The people who keep writing to me are Clarion solicitors in leeds. When I received the final bill it was in 2012 but they say i am still liable

Joshua :

Thanks. Could you clarify what you mean by Bupa having changed hands?

Customer:

We was in bupa with work it has now changed hands to axa

Customer:

I am in need of help and i feel i am being ripped off. Please get back to me asap

Joshua :

I am sorry you have rated my service to you as bad. Unfortuantely we all work in full time jobs and cannot be available 100% of the time. Unfortuantely I had an appointment to attend. I would be very happy to continue to assist if you would like me to. Please would you kindly confirm.

Customer:

I am sorry for negative feedback if you had explained that you had a full time job i would have understood. I would like an answer to my dilemma as soon as you can. Kind Regards

Joshua :

Thanks. I'm sorry the site may not make it entirely clear that it does not emply us; rather we are full time lawyers in private practice. I am sorry for any misunderstanding on this front. I would be please to continue to assist.

Joshua :

if you believe you were sent a final Bill from Bupa confirming there was nothing to pay then the first step is to consider contacting BUPA and asking them to forward you copies of any and all correspondence including financial invoices and documentation that they have sent to you in the last three years or the appropriate period. you may consider specifying that you are making the request as a subject access request under the data protection act under which they are required to forward you any information they hold about you including any documentation exchanged between you

Joshua :

if they have indeed sent you an invoice confirming everything was paid by you in full the a copy will exist on the system as invoices do not easily disappear due to the regulatory requirements insurers are required to abide by.

in the meantime, you may wish to consider advising the lawyers involved that you're making enquiries with their client directly with regards XXXXX XXXXX debt claimed as you believe that everything had been paid and that you will revert to them pending the result of your enquiries to confirm your position.

Joshua :

if you are able to obtain evidence that everything was paid as you claim using the above approach then it is simply a matter of asking the insurer to notify their solicitors to cease-and-desist any further correspondence with you on the matter. if you are not satisfied with the response of the insurer, you can consider escalating to making a formal complaint with the insurer on the matter. the insurer is required to deal with your complaint in accordance with its complaints procedure and respond to you within a specified period of time which is usually 30 days. if you remain unsatisfied for any reason, whether this is because they have failed to provide you with the information you requested or indeed for any other reason, you can refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman which has powers to require disclosure of information from the insurer themselves and also to make an independent determination in respect of your complaint which is binding upon the insurer. They also have powers to award compensation where this is appropriate either because you out-of-pocket or for distress or inconvenience. there is no charge for the service

Joshua :

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Joshua :

is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Joshua :

Are you happy with the information I have provided to you above or is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Customer:

Thank you for your reply you have been most helpful. I will ring bupa first thing tomorrow. If I have any problems i will contact you. Once again I thankyou for your help, I am once again sorry for the mis-understanding when I gave a poor rating, as you said it wasnt clear on the web page. I will rate you the highest. Thankyou

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice