UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

is a mortgage legal if it was taken out by a patient in a mental

is a mortgage legal if it was taken out by a patient in a mental hospital who was not of sound mind?Are there any examples of case law for this please?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was admitted as an inpatient to the priory hospitalwith a severe mental breakdown at the time i had been remortgaging my property.I used an independent financial adviser and ended up coming out of hospital to find my previous mortgage had monthly payments of 850 and they were now 1500....clearly i would never have taken out this mortgage as i could not begin to afford the payments.I have been trying to sort this out for a long time and it has become a nightmare!

A mortgage is a contract.

This is an issue of basic contract law I.e. You may deny that you lacked the capacity to enter into the new mortgage and that you did not intend to enter into a legally binding contract.

You may argue that the mortgage is void on the grounds of your lack of mental capacity, see here for further information on this

http://www.rethink.org/resources/e/entering-into-a-contract-when-unwell-factsheet

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there case law for this argument?

Yes, there are a few cases I can think of on this principle, see here for you to understand how it works

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/uk/cases/UKPC/1985/1.html&query=Void+and+contract+and+lack+and+of+and+mental+and+capacity&method=boolean

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is new zealand? would that be any use in the uk?

Yes, it is common law as well.

Please leave feedback