LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have just bought a flat, which is rented out to a student

I have just bought a flat, which is rented out to a student already. She is staying in there. Do we need to notify the council at all ref council tax, as she doesn't pay this, or will everything just continue as it has done? Thank you
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

thank you

LondonlawyerJ :

Was the tenant in the flat when you bought it? Normally tenants pay council tax on the properties they occupy. Is there a reason why this one doesn't? Is that part of the agreement she had when you bought the property? If you are going to be paying the council tax then I do not see any need to notify the local authority.

Customer:

yes she was. Students don't pay council tax..?

Customer:

She would be paying it if she had to, but she doesn't under the law.

Customer:

I'm just not sure whether we just carry on as usual as the ownership of the property shouldn't matter should it? Just who is in there..?

Customer:

thank you

LondonlawyerJ :

Yes, you are right. If there is an occupier who is exempt from council tax then the situation will continue and there is no need to notify the local authority.

Customer:

thank you for your help