31090051

I have recently become WIDOWER and I believe I am entitled

I have recently become WIDOWER and I believe I am entitled to half of my wife's Government Pension. Despite making telephone calls I have not received any feed back. I was told I would hear very shortly, but now over four weeks later I have heard nothing. My wife died on 2nd March this year, and I am interested to know what, if anything,I might receive?. Thank you. Ian XXXXXXX

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry for your loss. Do you have any paperwork in the house about the pension. Normally the scheme document would detail what the spouses entitlement is to the pension. Half is quite typical but you have to check the specific scheme to know for sure. There is no rule that applies across the board.

You also have to get in touch with the pensions department of your wife's former employer again, preferably with a reference or national insurance number so as to request the relevant claim form. If they haven't come back to you, you must contact them until they do.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.