12826847

I WAS ON JOBSEEKERS CONTRIBUTION BASED BUT STILL HAVE TO PAY

Customer Question

I WAS ON JOBSEEKERS CONTRIBUTION BASED BUT STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR DENTAL CHECKUPS

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I left my employment of being a qualified support worker of 14 years due to ill health. I claimed jobseekers allowance contribution based, but was not made aware of not being eligible to free dental treatment. On 9th January 2014, both my wife and I had a dental check up. I explained to the dental receptionist that I was claiming Job Seekers Allowance and therefore was told I didn't have to pay for my treatment. My wife was fully expecting to pay for her own treatment, but was told by the dental receptionist that as far as she was concerned, that because I was claiming Job Seekers Allowance, that she also didn't have to pay.

About a month later, we both received a letter from NHS Dental Department that we were not entitled to free treatment. We wrote a letter and explained the circumstances, but have both been served a penalty notice for £90 and the charge of the original £18 check up fee.

I feel that my Human Rights have been breached on the grounds that I received £71.40 every two weeks, but someone on income based Job Seekers Allowance on the same amount gets free treatment.

Many Thanks

Tony

You don't have a human right to dental care I'm afraid.

What is your question about this please?