Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have bought a second hand car from Marshalls Volvo, the Registration

Customer Question

I have bought a second hand car from Marshalls Volvo, the Registration Document has not arrived with the car. The Dealer tells me they have applied to the DVLA for a new document which will be send directly to myself. I am due to pick the car up this morning. I want to know my legal position if I take delivery of the car without the Registration Document and if it is wise to do so. Secondly and more importantly, when I paid for the car last Saturday the Salesman said the payment from the Bank did not go through and he went into his office and took the payment on another machine. The bank has closed my husband and my accounts saying the payment has been taken twice. The bank say they have the money and the Dealer say it only went through once. What can I do?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify with you that the dealer does not hold the V5C (logbook) document please? They should have the V5C minus the V5C/3 section of the form which is the part the previous owner would have signed to transfer the car to the dealer. If they don't have it how do they explain this?

Joshua :

Have you asked if they carried out a car data check when they acquired the car? If they have have you asked to see it?

Joshua :

From what you say you have paid for the car in full, and from what your bank says, twice? may I ask how much you paid?