12826847

I was riding my motorcycle and was speeding 100 mph and my

Customer Question

I was riding my motorcycle and was speeding 100 mph and my friend was behind me ,when the police charged me they told me that they never had a reading on me but they where charging me with the speed me friend was doing behind me .Can 2 people be prosecuted with the reading.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, they are charging your friend as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes ,They said they did not have reading on.?

What was the speed limit please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The spped limit was 70mph

I presume your friend was riding a separate motorbike rather than a pillion passenger?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We were on separate
motorcycles I was riding in front .when the police stopped and charged me they said that they never had a speed on me but were charging me for the speed my friend was traveling at .
Yes, I understand.

What they are saying is that they are relying on the evidence of the officer that his opinion was that you were travelling at a speed above the limit corroborated in this way.

They will have travelled behind your friend and checked his speed by reference to their own speedometer in that they pursued him and neither lost him or gained upon him.

The evidence against you will be that they were travelling with you ahead and you did not lose or gain upon your friend.

Obviously this is more slapdash that the laser gun or GATSO device but it was the way in which speeding offences were always evidenced before devices were discovered.

That is why you have to be doing a speed substantially over the limit to be prosecuted.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.