Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

where do I get a International Money transfer clearance cerificate

where do I get a International Money transfer clearance cerificate and how much does the certificate cost?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Would I be correct this in relation to an email you have received advising you that there is money or valuables due to you please?

Customer:

No I had the monies in my overseas bank account and requested it to be transferred to UK bank account however this a stop put on it until I produced a a International Money Transfer Certificate this due to Money Laundering and Terrorism and I have solicitor however he asking for extortionate amount of monies the bank is OK with it but MIFU have put stop on this until I produce a Certificate. Can you help

Joshua :

May I ask how you came to have an overseas bank account? Where did the momey come from and roughly how much have you asked to transfer?

Customer:

inheritance from a relative

Joshua :

Do you know the relative involved. How much is involved? How did you find out about the money - e.g. did a lawyer contact you?

Joshua :

Which country is the money coming from?

Customer:

I knew I had a relative that relative however I didn't know as such or ever met him, he was like black sheep and kind of a recluse and never wanted anything to do with anyone I don't know I think something may have happened but my dad use to talk about him; yes his barrister contacted me, I opened a bank account with my monies when everything was cleared it successfully transferred into my account and everything was OK then I thought how am I going to acces the

Customer:

monies so I thought I will transfer to my UK bank account

Joshua :

Thank you. The reason I have asked so many questions above is that this has all the hallmarks of a scam. There is no such thing as an international money transfer clearance certificate and this is typical variation of a so called "419 scam" whereby you are asked for money up front for fees of one kind or another in return for the promise of a reward - usually a percentage of money transferred or an inheritance. There are money laundering controls in place but these are administered by the receiving bank behind the scenes whereby your bank will hold any suspected payments pending further information and liases with the National Crime Agency for authorisation to release the payment where they are not satisified.

Joshua :

Accordingly you would wish to investigate the pedigree of this arrangement if you believe there is any genuine possibility of an inheritance. Do you have the name of the barrister that has contacted you. Does he claim to be practicing in this country or another? Where is the money presently claimed to be held?

Customer:

The BSN Bank released the monies however it was seized by MIFU and now they're saying dur to money Laundering and terrorism they need this certificate I have not handed any monies over and I did transfer the minimum amount to open my account which was opened and I could access this via online banking, I got a user name and password XXXXX the bank which I didn't reveal to any third party the barrister resides in the country and sent me his ID and will report him if any thing fraudulent happens and am not prepared to hand anything over I wish to obtain this certificate myself.

Joshua :

Which country is involved?

Customer:

Malaysia

Joshua :

Thanks. And what is he claiming MIFU is?

Customer:

THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF) AND MALAYSIAN FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE UNIT (MFIU), INDICATING THAT YOU ARE TO PROVIDE ANTI-MONEY LAUNDRY/TERRORIST CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES COVERING THE FUND TO ENSURE IT'S CLEANNESS.

Customer:

I just copied and pasted that I hope don't think I am being rude!

Joshua :

Thats fine. Thank you. I regret that thisthe appears to be a scam. The IMF have no direct controls on money laundering. I have just checked Malasia's legal code on the position and they have similar reporting provisions to the UK. There is no requirement to provide a certificate. Any investigations are carried out by authorities in the event that there are suspicions regarding a payment. This would appear to be an attempt to extract monies from you to pay for fictious fees.

Joshua :

You can check the authenticity of the barrister who has contact you with the Malaysian Bar using the following link:
http://www.malaysianbar.org.my/legal_directory.html

Joshua :

My suspicion will be that his credentials will be fake.

Joshua :

My view would be not to send any monies at all as such monies as this would appear to be a fraud attempt. The police here have a dedicated fraus tean which can provide you with intelligence on the arrangements youa re being requested to enter into and investigate the same if necessary

Customer:

Thank you I will e-mail the bank and request my funds back and can I report this to anyone in Malaysia however is the bank Advisers genuine? this is what I needed in order to move forward with this, thank you is there any further advice you can give me?

Joshua :

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Joshua :

You can also contact the British Embassy in Malaysia to confirm the validity of any claimed arrangements that you have been requested to enter into. They can provide you with relevant contacts to pursue the matter with if you wish to:

Customer:

Thank you Joshua you have been a great help, I will contact the British embassy in Malaysia, again thank you very much

Joshua :

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-high-commission-kuala-lumpur

Joshua :

A pleasure. I hope you are able to recover the monies you have already sent

Customer:

I hope so too, silly me at least I didn't send any more

Joshua :

the scams can be extremely convincing - that is their trade. these you way to spot a scam of this kind is that genuine money transfers, where there are fees to be paid, simply proceed on the basis that such fees will be deducted from the monies transferred. the one common feature the matter how sophisticated the scam is typically that monies are required to be paid upfront for one reason or another

Joshua :

if I can assist any further as the matter develops, please do not hesitate to contact me

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Customer:

You have been a great help and I appreciate this very much and I will give you feed you have been Excellent

Joshua :

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice