12826847

Hi someone is threatening to reveal secrets from my past, what

Customer Question

Hi someone is threatening to reveal secrets from my past, what should I do?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My daughter and a 'friends' daughter had a falling out. After trying to reconsile their differences it was clear this would not happen. We have been contacted several times by text and I replayed saying I wouldn't read them. This did not deter the woman and she then started texting my daughter and myself threatening to expose my 'dirty secrets'. I told her that if she did not stop I would seek legal advice. Hope this is enough information for you.
Ok.

What action are you hoping to take over this?

Do you know what she's referring to by dirty secrets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do know, I used to work in the sex industry. I am wondering if I could get a restraining order or Sue for slander as she has no firm evidence and I do not have any criminal convictions.
She hasn't said anything in public yet so this cannot be a defamation and anyway you do accept that she is referring to something that is true so its not defamation. It would only be slander if she said something untrue.

In terms of a restraining order, you could probably sue for harassment if you are receiving unsolicited text message from this person to which you are not responding. That would lead to an injunction preventing her from contacting you although obviously not revealing anything about you.

Another option is to ask the police to warn her that further contact would be harassment.

If she does say anything untrue though then you may have a claim in defamation.

Do bear in mind that all of these actions would incur costs.