75100385

my heavily pregnant wife and toddler were hit from behind by

my heavily pregnant wife and toddler were hit from behind by a hgv and my wife suffered neck back pelvis and lower right leg pain, along with a grave concern for our unborn child and my son was in a state of shock and covered in glass. whilst still in the vechile and before the police and ambulances arrived an off duty police officer showed his badge and orderd some unwilling bystanders to push my wifes car across the road and into a bus stop (with my wife in great pain and no support of her neck) while he leaned in the car across my wife she was clearly in a lot of discomfort. there appears to be no obvious reason for moving the car as the lorry was still blocking one lane of the carriageway. my concern rose when i recieved a call the following day from the attending officer who stated that he had submitted his report and he told me that he hadnt realised that the car had been moved prior to his arival even though a local parish councilor at the seen had seen the two policeman talking at lenght at the scene. is this somthing i should inform my insurance company of or my solicitor? thank you mark

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume it does not change liability in that the HGV driver admits going into the rear please?
Customer:

the hgv driver admited fault at the scene to the attending officer. was it right to move the vehicle and agrevate potential injuries.

Customer:

to clarify should the off duty officer used his authority to move the vehicle at all. i would have thought the medics should have assesed first. the lorry wasnt able to be removed from the scene until the attending officer had advice from the hospital that our baby was ok, my wife had to have a 20 minute contiuous trace of our baby before the hospital could advise the police. the hospital told us this was a statutary requiremant in an rtc with a pregnant lady.

Alex Watts :

Yes I would report this to the Police and Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

But in reality if you have been hit in the rear AND the driver admitted it to the Officer then it will not make any difference to laibility

Alex Watts :

But you should report it yes

Alex Watts :

Customer:

is the officer that is off duty and used his postion as a police man to take charge liable for putting my wife in further danger when he moved her car when the full extent of her injuries were unclear as the medics had not yet arrived.

Alex Watts : Unless any further injury was caused then no.
Alex Watts : Only if further injury then would he be liable.
Alex Watts : Xoes
Alex Watts : Does that clarify a.