UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

What rights do an American man in Britain when he marries an

Customer Question

What rights do an American man in Britain when he marries an English man. We have b een a couple for 34 years and can now regularise our union.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

UKSolicitorJA : Hello
UKSolicitorJA : Please be specific what rights you are asking about? Immigration related?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes -does he have automatic rights to stay in the uk? As a Green Card holder in the USA would have? Does he have access to the National Health system? Can he for instance apply for joint citizenship. I should explain that he is a 62 American citizen and is taxed in the US. I am also retired and am a British Citizen, and taxed and pensioned in the country. Any help you can give to help us understand how we would stand would be appreciated. At the moment I go to the US on a six months visa and apply for an extension. We own a house in Florida and when I come over here we rent a cottage for six months at a time, but it is becoming irksome. Can you help please?

Yes, he may access the NHS for free once he obtains a spouse visa. The spouse visa is a probationary visa and once you have been living for 5 years in the Uk as a couple, he may apply for,indefinite leave to remain.

He needs to apply for a spouse visa from the US, see here

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

He may apply for UK citizenship after living for 5 years in the UK and obtaining Indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Hope this helps