tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi, my cat was locked in a neighbours garage for 4/5 hours

Hi, my cat was locked in a neighbours garage for 4/5 hours on Friday night and was very scared by the time the owner of the garage let her out, anyway the next day my neighbour and owner of the garage now is saying that m cat has knocked over some wire mesh which has scratched the bottom of his driver door. Could you please advise me, what to do next.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Are you asking whether you're liable for the damage done by the cat?

Customer:

yes I am.

tdlawyer :

Okay. No, you're not liable for the damage done by your cat. There is no recognition in law that you would be liable for this type of damage at all.

Customer:

that good news however this neighbour has a reputation for being handy with his fists,

tdlawyer :

That's never good I guess, but if he ever attacked you or threatened to attack you, then this would lead to him being arrested and the police being involved. I doubt he wants that in fairness either.

tdlawyer :

You can't let yourself be bullied, although I don't think he has threatened you as yet?

Customer:

no, but it is a concern, would it be appropriate to offer half the money towards the bill.

tdlawyer :

There is no reason you coulnd't offer half, as a way of just saying "lets be sensible and remain friends" etc.

Customer:

ok, thanks very much for you help.

tdlawyer :

You're welcome, thank you. Are you happy with the service today please?