75100385

I am a building manager at a residential property. I was punched

Customer Question

I am a building manager at a residential property. I was punched in the face and robbed of my mobile phone (as I was attempting to record his verbal abuse towards me). The police are charging him with the robbery. I want the assault to be included and do not understand why they are not including this in the charge. I think this will go to court. Do I need a solicitor? I have witnesses. He threaded to have me killed.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have the Police said why it is not included please?

JACUSTOMER-uptxhty5- : Hi and thank you.
JACUSTOMER-uptxhty5- : they did not say why but the person was released on conditional bail not to approach me that evening. The statements have been received now from the witnesses and I have submitted a picture of my bruised face. The police say that the CPS should now be satisfied enough for him to be charged.
JACUSTOMER-uptxhty5- : this person has been verbally abusive towards me before to which I have witnesses. Can I refer to these incidents as a build up to the incident he will be charged for. Do I need a solicitor and how would you recommend I go about appointing one with very limited funds at my disposal. I feel that I am the one on trial!
Alex Watts :

To be honest it is probably the most serious charge that is the robbery

Alex Watts :

This is because a standard assault is kept in the Magistrates Court and wont go to the Crown Court/

Alex Watts :

I assume they have made the decision based on the evidence etc just to go with Robbery as that is the most serious

Alex Watts :

However you can't force a prosecution

Alex Watts :

As soon as you make a complaint it then belongs to the Crown (Police)

Alex Watts :

The Police refer the matter to the CPS who decide what to charge

Alex Watts :

It is a matter for a CPS lawyer what to charge and sadly you have no involvement in that

Alex Watts :

You have no say in what will or will not be charged

Alex Watts :

You don't need a Solicitor as you are witness to the case

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/