12826847

Hi, I left the scene of a motor incident. I crashed my car

Customer Question

I left the scene of a motor incident. I crashed my car into a roundabout in the early hours and left the scene due to being panicked.

The police recovered my car assuming it had been stolen and are going to call me for a statement, I'm going to come clean!

Am I likely to be convicted? And if so what penalty can I expect?

Can you also advise on likely hood of dangerous driving/diving with undue care conviction (no witnesses)?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

There isn't much chance of a conviction for dangerous driving or undue care and attention but they could charge you with failing to stop and report.

If they do charge you with failure to stop and report and undue care and attention then it might be better to offer a plea to undue care as it generally carries the lesser penalty.

If they do pursue failing to stop and report then you would be convicted on these facts. It would not seem to be capable of denial.

That carries 5-10 points and up to 6 months custody or an unlimited fine. It will be points and a fine. It does carry the capacity to ban as well but thats not all that common.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Jo,

From your experience are the police likely to have compassion and understand that I was panicked at the time?

I have no previous convictions.

(I obviously understand you cannot preempt what the police are going to do in this particular case).

To be wholly honest, they probably will charge you with something.

If you abandoned a car at the scene of an accident then probably they would be looking to prosecute for something.