tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

If BT run a telephone line over someone elses property to

Customer Question

If BT run a telephone line over someone else's property to reach my house ..do they have a right yo take that line down?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you know whether BT entered into an agreement with the other property owner?

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : No but the BT crosses over a little corner of their land .The neighbour is complaining about this .
tdlawyer :

Okay. BT have no right to do that without the consent of the owner, so in theory, they could require the cable to be moved, yes.

tdlawyer :

However, in reality, what often happens is that the phone operator will either re-route the line, or, more commonly, pay a small mount of compensation to the land owner to satisfy them and then they enter into the appropriate agreements to recognise the deal done between them.

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : if that is the case should Bt remove it at their cost and replace .Also who should I contact regarding this ...thank you so much .
tdlawyer :

BT should absolutely remove it at their cost - it's down to them.

tdlawyer :

You should contact BT Customer Services tomorrow morning.

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : thank you
tdlawyer :

Can I check whether you are happy with the service today?

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : In a minute be delighted to .... Does neighbour have tight yo fut this down because the line offends him a little or he is just being spiteful .I want to address thus before he approaches BT to complain
JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : Right to pull down line I meant sorry for typo
tdlawyer :

His motive for complaining is irrelevant - if it's over his land, he can insist it be removed regardless.

tdlawyer :

And yes, he could pull it down, although if he does that, he may never stand a chance of getting compensation from BT.

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : He has photographed it today and is clearly compiling evidence .Its been there for 8 years ...does that change anything .
JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : thanks
tdlawyer :

Yes, he might be too late here, it's normally 6 years to bring an action for trespass.

tdlawyer :

So BT might oppose this being removed at this stage - but it's for them to sort, not you.

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question?

JACUSTOMER-qig3472t- : Yes thank you ....great help and I am grateful .
tdlawyer :

You're very welcome. Please do remember to rate the answer for me. Thanks, have a good Bank Holiday.