29905560

I am a UK national and was recently working in Iraq for the

I am a UK national and was recently working in Iraq for the UAE branch of a French company. I believe that I was unfairly dismissed and would like to take legal action against the company (my contract was with the Abu Dhabi branch of the company). Would it be possible to do this in the UK (my reasoning being that both France and UK are members of the EU).

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I am afraid you will not be able to make a claim in the UK for this. France and the UK may both be in the EU but that does not allow you to pick an choose which country you want to make claim in and to do so you must show that the relevant country's courts have the jurisdiction to hear your claim. A UK employment tribunal would not have the legal jurisdiction to hear a claim about your employment in UAE by a French company a there are simply no links with the UK (even if you are a UK citizen) and just because the UK happens to be in the EU is not sufficient to allow you to claim here. You will ave to look at UAE or French law in order to take the matter further and examine the legal options in these countries I'm afraid

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks