29905560

I left my car with a main dealer garage for a service and while

I left my car with a main dealer garage for a service and while it was with them someone drove onto the compound to turn around and dented my car. Is it the garages responsibility. Thank you. Paul

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know who was responsible for the damage?

Customer:

No not yet the garage are still looking for the cctv

Ben Jones :

Whilst the car was in their possession and in their care, it does not mean that they would be responsible for any damage that had occurred during that time. They can only be held liable for any damage that had occurred due to their negligence. So if they had left the car in a place where it was not reasonably foreseeable that damage would occur and it was not their negligence that had caused the damage, they would not be legally responsible and it would be the party whose actions caused you the damage that you would have to pursue. Therefore, if their CCTV footage has caught the person responsible for this and you manage to find out who they are, you can pursue them directly because it is their own negligence that had caused the damage and they would be legally responsible for it. Unless you can show that it was the garage’s negligence that had caused this, you would not be able to pursue them.

It is nevertheless worth checking if they have any insurance in placer that may be able to cover this so ask them directly about that.

Customer:

Ok that is what they were saying. Thank you Ben.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best