How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69254
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my son has been arrested for not adhering to a section 27. We

Resolved Question:

my son has been arrested for not adhering to a section 27.
We have been to his friends (25 years old) funeral. he and 4 of his friends went to a pub after the service. very upset. they had too much to drink and my son was given a section 27. he is on a suspended sentence for a grafiti offence. The police arrested him and he is in a cell sobering up now.
1. i have been advised to go to meet him at 9. will i need to take a solicitor with me as there are mitigating circumstances
2 do you think he will be detained as from now on his suspended sentence.
i am out of my mind with worry
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

why do you need to meet him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

to bring him home hopefully


Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

On your specific points,

1 If all you are doing is picking him up from police custody then you will not need a solicitor. I do not see what else you can be there for. He is 25 so not in need of an appropriate adult. In any event, unless he wants a solicitor one cannot act.

2 I presume that he does have other convictions as people do not end up on suspended sentences for graffittii related criminal damage unless the damage is literally horrendous.

It isn't really that likely that he would be remanded in custody for breach of a S27 notice alone. The question is whether or not the substantive behaviour is part of his offending modus operandi but, on the face of it, its got nothing to do with graffittii or any similar offence so a remand is unlikely unless, of course, he has a bad record for complying with the Bail Act.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

when the police find he is on a suspended sentence can he be remanded in custody to start his sentence or will he go back to court for breaching the section 27?

his offence was a second graffiti offence along with a possession for personal use of a class b or c drug. yes it did seem incredibly harsh but thats done now.

would a good lawyer help if he has to revisit court. he had a duty solicitor last time and i feel he could be better represented.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
He can't be remanded in custody for being on a suspended sentence.

He can only be remanded if there is a fear that he will fail to surrender to bail, commit further offences, interfere with witnesses or present a risk to himself.

Since he has committed a further offence during the suspended term the sentencing court can either impose the sentence in full or in part of make the community order more onerous. It depends really how well he has complied hitherto. S27 breaches are not the end of the world.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69254
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice