LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

In April 2014 Serena (aged 20) was arrested under the 1824

Customer Question

In April 2014 Serena (aged 20) was arrested under the 1824 Vagrancy Act for stealing food from dustbins outside a Tesco supermarket. She was also arrested for possession of a small quantity of heroin. She became addicted to heroin soon after leaving home, aged 18. She has been sleeping rough for three months. Despite indicating that she would plead guilty to both charges, she was remanded in custody. She has previously served three short prison sentences for shoplifting and possession of class A drugs.

My question is how can I advise Serena on her case. Second, what kind of advice I could give her on whether she should plead guilty, and whether there are any factors the court is likely to consider when sentencing her. Also, what types of sentence she may receive and what factors the court is likely to consider when sentencing. Finally, whether a prison sentence is suitable for Serena and what the probation service will be able to do with her if she is given a community sentence.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I ama solicitor with over 15 years experience. i will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Ter are a number of offences under this Act am I right in thinking she was arrested for being on enclosed premises? A remand in custody for tis offence and sime possession of a small amount of heroin is unusual. Are there any extra issues here, eg is she on a suspended sentence order for other matters or was she on bail at the time of her arrest? Can you also let me know what your relstionhiptoSarina is. eg are you a relative otr maybe an advice worker?