Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Would a large Company like Facebook send a lawyers letter to

Would a large Company like Facebook send a lawyers letter to an individual through e-mail?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you. It depends what the nature of the correspondence says, if the correspondence is emailing you at an address that you have listed as one that you can be corresponded to (for example by accepting their terms and conditions) then email correspondence is fine. If the lawyers are serving you with court proceedings then this must be done at your last known residential address. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ

Customer:

OK thanks , not court proceedings but threatening court proceedings but it does not look official that is why I am asking? How would we be able to find out? It is not me it is a friend of a friend

Customer:

The Letter in the form of a PDF is not on letter heading?

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. If the solicitors letter is on headed paper or has any kind of signature it will say that it is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. You can check this at the Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk and they will tell you if it is a legitimate firm.

Alex J. :

I would then call the office of the lawyers to check that the lawyer that sent the letter actually works there.

Alex J. :

I would also note if it is facebook they are likely to use a large firm, not a one man band based in the middle of no where.

Alex J. :

If they are threatening court proceedings in the UK it should mention either the Civil Procedure Rules or pre action protocol.

Customer:

Thank you we have checked and the lawyer does work there - she is a' rising star' in the company it just does not seem right?

Customer:

No the court proceedings are being threatened tto someone that lives in Germany?

Customer:

The Lawyer is in Arizona

Alex J. :

Hi, What is the nature of the proceedings?

Customer:

For having more than one FB account and using an ext in a game?

Alex J. :

What is the firm of lawyers called? If they are not asking for any money I would just write back and confirm that without admittance of any liability you will cease what ever the alleged infringement is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Lawyers are Perkins Coie

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

They are a large international firm. If they are not demanding any money at this stage I would just write back, deny you have done anything wrong and cease carrying on whatever the offending action was.

When someone signs up to Facebook they will normally click accepts of the terms and conditions and this is likely what has happened, the terms and conditions probably say correspondence by email is accepted.

AJ