Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE

I have recently put in an offer for a 2 bed flat in a tower

Customer Question

I have recently put in an offer for a 2 bed flat in a tower block of 78 flats for £70,000 and was aware that there is a maintenance charge of £1,399 pa.

I was asked by the vendor to use the solicitors that the previous ' would be' buyer was using to speed matters up. Although, not happy with this I agreed.

I have now received an email from this solicitor, informing me of additional costs as follows:-
Block compartmentation(fire protection) - work has been completed £5,085
Disability and equality improvements - to take place 2014/2015 £1,000
Internal/external decoration - to take place 2013/2018 up to £1,000
Soil vent pipe and rainwater goods renew - over next 8 years £3,056

This would then take the cost up the flat up to aprox £80,000. Am I expected to pay for the work done prior to my purchase? And what am I paying £1,399pa for. This does seem an extreme amount
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Have you been asked to pay these sums now, or have they said you will receive a bill for these items when you complete the purchase?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear AJ,

So far I have just received an email from the solicitor that I am using, informing me of the additional costs, which I assume are to be paid as the work is done.

The work for the £5,085 has been completed. The solicitors words to me are that should the vendor not have paid this that the bill will be passed to myself. This amount in particular I feel should be paid by the vendor as the work has been completed prior to my ownership. My feeling is that he intends passing this amount on to me as he wishes to proceed with a quick sale.

Many thanks,

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

If you have not completed or exchanged on the purchase then you should say to the Vendor that you either want a reduction in the price or these items paid for before the sale is completed.

As burdens they will run with the land and you will become liable for them. Therefore they must be addressed before you complete.

Alternatively you can ask the vendor for a retention of the purchase price in order to pay some of these costs.

Your solicitor is basically warning you that these costs are a potential liability.

I look forward to hearing from you.