29905560

Having recently returned to work on light duties after a car

Having recently returned to work on light duties after a car accident which has an ongoing injury compensation claim(on my behalf), I have been subjected to accusations of making a fraudulent claim by work colleagues. Is this defamation of character? If so what action can I take?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

14 years

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Customer:

are you still there? I am new to computers!

Ben Jones :

yes I am here

Ben Jones :

Whilst technically this may amount to defamation, this is a very complex legal matter and something that would cost thousands to purse and will not have any guarantee of getting you anywhere because it will only result in you seeking compensation which the people behind the comments may not be able to pay. So you could end up thousands down, without having anything to show for it.

So whilst you can still raise this issue as being defamation and use it in trying to take the matter further, I would not actually recommend that you make a claim for defamation.

As the issue here is that your colleagues have started making unwelcome remarks against you, you would be best advised to treat the matter as an internal case and pursue it through your employer. You may do this by raising a formal grievance with the employer and follow the internal grievance procedure they may have in place. The employer would then investigate these complaints and decide what, if any action can be taken. This could include disciplining the people guilty of making these untrue comments. But as mentioned, try to keep matters internal as it is certainly not worth taking this as a separate defamation claim in the courts.

Customer:

ok sounds good. thanks!

Ben Jones :

you are welcome

Customer:

are you done? I can't log off!

Ben Jones :

yes unless you have any further queries in relation to this?

Customer:

no

Ben Jones :

ok so you can just pick a smiley face and close the page down. If the option does not work then you can just type your selection below and close the page down, thanks

Customer:

excellent service

Ben Jones :

many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX best