Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Agreed to leave a wardrobe in our flat after moving out and

Agreed to leave a wardrobe in our flat after moving out and sell it to our landlord. Confirmed via email. Now he changed his mind and want to charge us for the removal and take from our deposit. Can he do that? Many thanks
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

From what you say you have an email trail confirming your agreement. Is this correct please?

Joshua :

How much did the landlord agree to pay for the same?

Customer: Yes, have emails confirming the agreement. Do you want to see those? Agreed £250, not about the price but principle and hassle for us to remove. Thanks
Joshua :

Thanks. Have you now moved out already?

Customer: Not yet. Moving out may 31
Customer: According to letting agency agreement doesnt mean anything as no money was transferred
Joshua :

Thank you. Do you have a clear agreement by reference to your email exchange that the landlord agreed to pay you £250 for the wardrobe and that you accepted that offer?

Joshua :

Would you like to continue?

Customer: Hello, yes, we do have that. We clearly say we accept the offer
Customer: And we have response from agency so they have received
Joshua :

Thank you. If there is clear evidence of both an offer made to the landlord and the landlord accepting the offer or vice versa then there is a binding contract on the landlord to buy the wardrobe for the amount agreed and the landlord cannot unilaterally back out of the agreement.

Customer: Thanks
Customer: How can i best word that in email to the agency
Joshua :

It does not matter that no money has yet changed hands provided you have agreed a price and the time the wardrobe will be handed over to him - namely here that you will leave it when moving out.

Customer: And does it matter if its the agency acting on behalf of the lndlord?
Joshua :

You may wish to consider a response to the agency that you have an email train which clearly contains both an offer and acceptance of offer whereby a price and arrangement for the wardrobe has been agreed and you will be holding the landlord to that agreement.

Joshua :

Providing the agent is acting as the landlords agent anything you write to them is deemed to have been written to the landlord and anything the say to you is deemed to have been said by the landlord under agency law.

Customer: Ok, thanks for your help
Joshua :

A pleasure. If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.