29905560

I have two convictions for drug possession when i was 17. This

I have two convictions for drug possession when i was 17. This was 42 years ago Am I able to visit USA for holiday?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Just because you have these convictions does not automatically mean that you are not going to be able to travel to the USA. However, you will have to get a visa as you will not be eligible for the visa waiver programme. That means you need to go to the US Embassy and have an interview where they will assess your suitability to enter the country. A different decision can be reached on a different day as it would depend on the interviewing officer so there is no way to guarantee you will get it but the fact that this was such a long time ago and assuming you have stayed out of trouble since, means that the chances of you getting granted a visa are reasonable

Customer:

I was under the impression that you were automatically disqualified if you had more than one conviction for drugs offences or a crime involving moral turpetude.

Ben Jones :

Having more than one offence for drug offences does not automatically make you ineligible to enter the country - it may make it more difficult but the authorities have the power to grant you entry if they believe that you are no longer a risk

Customer:

Would they be able to do this at the embassy interview or are we talking about waiver which can take up to six months to issue.

Ben Jones :

the embassy staff can make that decision, but you need to be sure you have the visa granted before you decide to trvael and buy tickets, etc

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best