29905560

We rented a cottage for a week over New Year 2013/14. We tried

We rented a cottage for a week over New Year 2013/14. We tried to collect the keys from the designated pub but they didn't have them, they suggested that the housekeeper might be finishing the cleaning and we should check at the property. There was no one there so we rang the owner on his mobile. He told us to try a certain pub in the village and "oh by the way the hot tap in the bathroom is not working, I will probably be round to sort it out tomorrow". When we gained entry we found it to be well below standard, cold, shabby and not too clean. We immediately contacted the agent and he sent 'a colleague' round to inspect the property, her words to us " I see what you mean". A little later we received a 'phone call from the agent and were told that the property was fit for purpose. He also said that our contract was with the owner and not the agency. Jonathan (the agent) told us that Northumbrian coast and country cottages (the agency) had told the owner back in September 2013 to get the place tidied up, but Mr Orde (the owner) was a bit of a jack the lad! His words not ours. We decided to cut our losses, £570 for the week and came home. I contacted Citizens Advice and tried to write to Mr Orde, sending the letter by recorded delivery, the letter came back stamped
by the Post Office refused. Is it too late to take Mr Orde to the small claims court?

Mrs Carol Bedford
4 Emmott View
Leeds
LS19 6PW

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

It is certainly not too late to take this matter further to the small claims court if you wanted because the time limit for doing so would be 6 years and this only happened several months ago. So as far as the legal time limits are concerned, you are still well within time to do so. Assuming that you were simply after a reimbursement of some or all of your money paid for the holiday, then you can make the claim online via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Customer:

Thank you Ben, I think we will go down the small claim route, the money is of secondary importance but the Northumbrian agency are still marketing this grotty property.