12826847

As a parent of a 16 year old son can I ask to see CCTV evidence

Customer Question

As a parent of a 16 year old son can I ask to see CCTV evidence which the police have which may be used against hin if he is questioned by the police ? If I sit in on a police interview with him am I allowed to stop the interview ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi can I just check we are dealing with uk law ? I am in uk .
Yes, I'm in the UK.

If you have been invited to attend a police interview as an appropriate adult then you have one single role there and that is to facilitate communication with the juvenille. Its all a load of nonsense because there are very few 16 year olds who are not perfectly capable of communicating with their solicitors.

You don't have a right to see the CCTV otherwise than in interview and would not normally be shown it. The solicitor would during disclosure probably but that would not extend to the appropriate adult.

You can ask for breaks in interview. Breaks aren't often refused depend on the length of the interview and the number of the breaks. They can throw you out of interview if you obstruct although I was a police rep for 9 years before I went to the Bar and in that time I was never removed from an interview. You might argue that was because I wasn't obstructive but I think the truth was that the police don't lik removing solicitors from interviews because they have to justify it and if they remove appropriate adults they have the problem of having to find a replacement which isn't easy.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/