Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I witnessed a will in 2010 but in 2014 I married one of the

Customer Question

I witnessed a will in 2010 but in 2014 I married one of the beneficiaries, can my husband still benefit as a beneficiary?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

From what you say you were not married to any of the beneficiaries at the time you witnessed the will. Is that correct please?

Customer:

That is correct I witnessed the will in 2010 and then married my husband in 2014. It is not a big estate but I will feel really stupid if my witnessing has caused his share to fail!

Joshua :

Joshua :

s15 Wills Act provides that where a witness is a beneficiary or spouse of a beneficiary of the will, that beneficiary will not inherit.

Joshua :

Providing you were not married at the time you witnessed the will your husband will be entitled to inherit even if you later married after witnessing the will.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

Thank you that answers perfectly

Joshua :

A pleasure

Joshua :

If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do no hesitate to let me know.