29905560

What can i do to stop this person who insists that I grabbed

What can i do to stop this person who insists that I grabbed her my the neck , when i did not do such a thing, later on she reported this to the boss, she has told every one and I feel upset, angry , that some one can lie like this and get away with it

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for? Is this person a colleague?

Customer:

work collage, one year

Ben Jones :

Is the employer taking any action against you?

Customer:

no

Ben Jones :

Your options will be limited to pursuing this matter internally and with the employer. There is little that can be done outside of the workplace in this case so concentrate on trying to resolve this issue with the employer. You should try and speak to your manager to state that you do not agree with her version of events and maintain your innocence. Ask them to speak to this person to make it clear that spreading untrue rumours is not acceptable. If the employer does not do anything or the employee continues with these rumours then you can consider taking the matter further by raising a formal grievance with the employer – they will then have a duty to investigate this and deal with it and if they find that the other employee was in the wrong they could discipline her.

Customer:

he says if the matter goes to head office and we do not put are differences aside we will have to work by are selfs and my hours will be cut

Ben Jones :

do you have guaranteed hours?

Customer:

Im dyslexic sory about the slow reply and grammer

Ben Jones :

not a problem

Customer:

yes 28 but i do more and would like to keep it that way

Ben Jones :

your employer will have to keep your guaranteed hours but anything on top of that they can cut if necessary and they will not be guaranteed unfortunately. Also you are quite vulnerable in terms of dismissal. You are not protected against it until you have at least 2 years of service so it could happen if the employer wanted to go down that route

Ben Jones :

I am travelling so expect my signal to drop any minute but please post any questions you have here and I will deal with them ASAP, thanks

Customer:

I see, so Linda as been there two years , but can i not stop her for slandering my name is XXXXX XXXXX free to say anything ,

Customer:

thanks for your help

Ben Jones :

Hi, whilst there is a claim available for slander, these are very complex and expensive and certainly not worth going through in these circumstances - you are looking at a five figure sum in legal costs and months of litigation, with no guarantee you will get anything in return. So that is why in the circumstances it is best to pursue this internally through the grievance route. It does not mean that if she has 2 years' service she can slander you, I just brought that up to let you know that in the circumstances your position is a bit vulnerable and if the employer faces a situation where they have two employees that do not get on with each other and they have to consider removing one of them, you are the one that they are likely to select because it would be much easier to do so. But that does not stop you from trying to pursue this any further with the employer now

Customer:

thanks , and good night

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'