How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

buying land

Resolved Question:

Hi I am going to buy a smal piece of land out-right in Northern Ireland, and would like to know is it possible for me to purchase the land without the need for a solicitor. And also what steps do i need to take? Thank you for your time

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much is the land worth?

Are you raising the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not getting a mortgage for it just a 12000 personal loan! I haven't got the land valued! I
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Is the loan to be secured by a charge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my credit agreement it says: this facility is unsecured
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
There is no legal reason why you cannot deal with this without a solicitor.

You don't have to do any searches and you can simply pass the money over to the seller and heating give you the transfer deed which you subsequently register at the land registry.

You also need to make a Stamp Duty Land Tax Return.

If there is a problem with the land that would be shown up on a local or environmental search you inherit that problem.

For the sake of a few hundred pounds I would strongly suggest that you had searches done and used the solicitor.

If you are familiar with the land you may want to forego having the searches done but if the lender is going to seek your the money against the property, they will insist on searches being done.

If it is not being secured on the property there is no need to have them done.

There is another potential problem for you if you do not use solicitors and that is that you can give the seller the money and he may not actually give you the transfer deed or vice versa so there needs to be a universal element of trust between the two of you.

If you know the seller and trust the seller and the seller knows how to draft all the paperwork for you, he can give you the transfer deed and you can give him the money.

If you have never done it before, it is really not a job to be undertaXXXXX XXXXXghtly.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69256
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice