13262538

I am a Gay man who has two children and was forced into marriage

I am a Gay man who has two children and was forced into marriage by my family threatening to dishone me and by my ex for the childrens sake. My whole family were aware i was gay and sent me to the doctors for treatment and i was prescribed anti depressants as if i was a ill person. We married in 2011. Due to the circumstances mentioned earlier and under duress i went ahead with the marriage as i was frightened of how my family would react if i didn't. We are no longer together and she wants a divorce. My question is due to the circumstances prior to the marriage and as i was forced into the marriage and married under duress can i get an annulment instead of a divorce? Thanks for your help

May I ask why you wish to do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reason is as my ex and family were aware of my orientation and as i actually didnt want to marry in the first place, i dont see the marriage as a real marriage and believe that the law may agree with me and see it as a voidable marriage.

Also my ex is trying to take me for the little i have and i think an annulment is the best resolution for all parties involved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think there is no point in an annulment and a divorce would be the best outcome?

Whether there is an annulment or a divorce the financial outcome is the same in terms of settlement
I am sorry but what you have described is family pressure - not duress and would not be sufficient for an annulment
Please ask if you need further details