12826847

A tenant has left with arrears of £2,700. I know approximately

Customer Question

A tenant has left with arrears of £2,700. I know approximately where he has moved to but not his actual address. When he gave notice he wanted an informal arrangement to pay off his arrears and when I insisted on something more formal he was abusive. He works as an assistant manager at the Cheadle Heath Aldi. How do I find his address in order to issue a summons?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What attempts have you made to find him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He uses Facebook and said that he was moving to Gradwell Street in Edgley. That's not too far away and I've walked the road and tried a couple of houses without a result.

Did he pay a deposit please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I've got to go out for an hour

You have 2 options. The 1st is just to issue at his work address which is actually perfectly valid. The risk is that he may change jobs and therefore it may be easier for him to get judgement set aside on the basis that he didn't receive the summons.

The 2nd option is just to use a tracing agent to find him. With the information that you have you should be able to trace him within 24 to 48 hours and it should cost between £50 and £100. Unfortunately that some cannot necessarily be re-claimed from him but you have to weigh up the outlay of under £100 to recover the sum of money.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry not to get back earlier I had to go out. That's very useful information about the validity of issuing a summons to his work address. Do I just provide that address on the court paperwork or do I have to deliver it into his hands?

Its no problem!

Yes, you can use his work address if that is the only one you have.

it is always safer to hand the summons to him because then he cannot easily deny receipt.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/