13262538

I have split with my partner and want to understand if I legally

I have split with my partner and want to understand if I legally owe him any monies.

I bought a house in my name using all my own funds 10 months ago.

4 months later we both moved in.

For 3 of the 6 months we lived there he went halves on my costs. All bills were/are in my name.

There is/as been no agreement in place around ownership.

He spent cash on household items e.g. a new bathroom, granite worktops and tiling but never said he wanted repaying for these in the future or equity for this.

He has now said he wants £30k even though he has no receipts for any money he spent (he only works in cash) and £30k is excessive to say the least to cover what he has paid to say the least.

I should add myself and my parents have also put money and work into the house since it was bought.

He has an outstanding loan to me (proved by bank transfer and emails) from 2011 for £10k. He hasn't mentioned that yet!

Friends have said I can tell him to leave the house now and not offer any monies and he has no leg to stand on.

We split due to his drug taking and mental abuse I should add. Both of which I hold proof of.

Do I owe him any money and does he have a good case of beneficial interest if he was to pursue this in the future?

The house has gone up around 15k in the 10 months I've owned it. Although with the rise in house prices anyway £9k is down to house prices rising anyway.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much did he spend on the work and how much did it increase the value of the property
Do you mean he owes you £10,000 - or that you borrowed it from him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I bought last June for 233k with a 10% mortgage. £203k is left on mortgage.
He owes me 10k.
An estate agent I spoke to who is in our area and arranged the original sale quotes £245k. Having checked house price rises for my area £9 k would be due to that.
My father an experienced property develop did lots of work on it for free too - equal if not more than my ex.
I would estimate £15k at most was spent by my ex although neither of us have receipts.
There was no agreement re equity or the future between us.
The fact that he has made a financial contribution towards the improvements to the property does give him a potential claim I am afraid.
It does not give him the right to remain in the property but certainly he could mount a realistic court application - but the amount involved is limited and there is no question of his achieving £30,000
Indeed given the loan it is likely that the claim and the debt will cancel each other out.
You could try and discuss matters with him using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) - but otherwise simply say that if he wishes to make a claim and believes that he can substantiate the excessive sum then he is welcome to try
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details