UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi I am a web page designer and have created websites for

Customer Question

I am a web page designer and have created websites for people. Sometime people pay me to create a web page for them.
One of my clients have recived a letter from a solicitor saying they are suing him for use of photographs on the website that I have created.
Although I have created the website and put the pictures up, all the information and pictures came from the client. The website was first created 4 years ago so I no longer have any emails from him to confirm the same.
I have not recived any letters myself nor am I named in the letter. I am worried though that I will be sued also - is this the case?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

As long as you did not use anyone's photographs or material subject to their copyright ownership without their consent, you do not need to worry as you have not infringed anyone's copyright.

It is possible that your client used third party photos without the third party consent.

If you have not heard anything from the solicitors, then nothing for you to worry about, and even if you do hear from them, if you have not infringed anyone's copyright, then there is nothing for you to answer to.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the client has used third party photos without the third party consent. He used photographs of loft conversions as passes them off as work he had done himself
Thank you. In that case the client is liable for breach of copyright, not you.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any case law or statute that can confirm this please - just in case he tries to bring me into the proceedings or tells them to come after me
It is the same principle as him assaulting someone. You would not be liable for his actions, in the same way, you are not liable for his copyright infringement.

This is basic law and not written down somewhere.

Hope this clarifies