12826847

Hi there, I took part in a university society competition

Customer Question

Hi there,

I took part in a university society competition (Warwick Entrepreneurs Be Your Own Boss https://www.warwicksu.com/events/4300/11156/) in mid-February which advertised a cash prize of £1000. I won the competition and was promised the prize, but it turned out the organisers had failed to undertake many of the steps involved in running such a competition. There were no terms and conditions, no agreements before I presented at the competition and no requirements were made clear, nor any stipulations on what the money should be spent on.

I still haven't received the prize money, and the university is insisting that in order to receive the funds I must open a business bank account, and sign several legal agreements (that I haven't been shown yet) ensuring that I only spend the money on what they would be happy with me spending it on. It was implied that the agreement would allow them to check my bank accounts.

Should I either be unable to open a business bank account in good time, or disagree with some of the statements in the legal agreements, what would my position be? Do they have the right to make these demands, given that no terms or conditions were put forward before or after the competition took place?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do accept that they failed to let you or any other bitter serpents have any terms and conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Could you clarify that question? I'm guessing you typed it on a mobile device and autocorrect has changed the wording.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, I think you were trying to say 'participants' instead of 'bitter serpents'. No, they haven't admitted anything, though I haven't challenged them on this particular point.

Yes, sorry, that was my dictation software!

I just need about 10 mins to consider this if thats OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a problem. Take your time.

I apologise for typographical error. You are correct.

From what you have told me, they are liable to pay you this £1000 and they cannot introduce terms and conditions unilaterally after the event.

There is clearly an agreement because there is an offer of £1000 for as a payment and an acceptance by virtue of the entry and a consideration, the consideration being the work you that you put into this.

If however they will not pay you the money without the conditions and you do not agree to the conditions this is something that you would have to take to the Small Claims Court and I think you would have a very good chance of winning although it depends whether you want to go to that trouble.

If you do, (because they will not pay up if you flatly refuse to do what they are asking,) you can issue small claims court proceedings quickly and easily by following this link www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/