we ( and they) do not know what caused the damp.
they are saying that IF it was caused through a one specific incident ( e.g. a leak, burst pipe, something being spilled) we ARE covered but if it was an 'ongoing thing ( e.g. maintenance failure) we are NOT covered.
the property HAS been maintained for the 55 years my parents have lived in it ( e.g. new roof last year, cavity wall, double glazing, gutters, so fits etc etc) but they CANNOT state what has caused it, and were going to dig up the concrete floor to see if they could but then cancelled the 'experts' without informing us- it is only my calls to try to resolve the issue that has been dragging - as i did not want me mum tripping over the now shredded carpet as it has been pulled up numerous times..
I have heard some other'stories' about this company so i do not want that to cloud my judgement - but is it a 'get out' clause so they do not have to pay for the carpet.....one issue...the carpet is a through room lounge/living room with folding doors. we were originally expecting a 'repair' but THEIR expert said could not match - would need a new carpet.
some other 'associated' information
we were paying for Home & also Contents insurance with this company for a number of years ( for which we never claimed) - you carry insurance and hope never to use/need it.looking back there were instances e.g. nephew breaking a window etc where we could have but never even thought about it. We did have one instance about 18 months ago where the brick pillar gatepost was knocked down and they did arrange to repair it - i happened to notice that the next door neighbours daughters car had scrape marks on the parked closest to us door...at the same levels as the coping stone etc...and she admitted to her mother and the insurance company claimed off them ( so i believe it was classed as a 'no-fault' claim as it cost them nothing.
Also before any expert could do work we had to pay the excess first- which we did
I have been working away for a few days, and just got back yesterday.
the funny thing is, I have been contacted by the Insurance company ( I very much doubt that it was anything to do with mentioning the ombudsman when i had originally spoke to them !!) and they said they would be reviewing it and looking into the case and although it is my privilege to contact the ombudsman there isn't really any need and they will give me a verdict in 8 weeks. I said thank you but due to their experts continually lifting the stain on the carpet it has started to split and is a health hazard. I also pointed out that I an Health & Safety trained (true) and considered it a very dangerous situation given the factor that my mother who is a pensioner needs to walk past that area on a regular basis, and if it had been in the workplace I would have closed the area down until out was sorted. I then went onto say that they had already been dealing with this since early Feb and 8 weeks was far too long as I intend to replace the carpet ( due to the danger) and would pursue other matters. Despite saying she would email me a copy of the conversation and snail-mail a copy . the said email did not materialise.although the snail-mail arrived first class, asking for a delay until a decision first week of June. I was going to contact you and update you when i had returned.
should i allow them another 4 weeks?
have a good weekend