31090051

I own a Historic Vehicle . A 1971 Series 2 Long Wheel Base

I own a 'Historic Vehicle' .
A 1971 Series 2 Long Wheel Base 109" Land Rover.
just discovered it to have a rotten chassis and intend changing it for a new galvanised one. So far no problem, but what other changes am I allowed to make without the vehicle losing its 'Historic' classification?
I would like to change to a diesel engine,eg.a Land Rover Discovery and its corresponding 5speed gearbox instead of the old 4speed non synchromesh type.
Your assistance would be appreciated
XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The engine and gearbox don't matter. It's the date the car was built that gives it historic status, ie, before 1 January 1974. Evidence is usually via the chassis number and you are replacing the chassis so I think you have to call DVLA for a ruling on this.

But if you already know this isn't a problem, I am able to answer your question which is that the proposed change of engine and gearbox will not make a difference to the status of the vehicle.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.