75100385

can i take school to court for allowing and taking part in

can i take school to court for allowing and taking part in bullying my son

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Could you please explain your situation a little more?
Customer:

Our problem starte with me cutting of a toxic friendship with a parent who in retaliation began to spread a gossip to other parents.

Customer:

Many parents stopped talking to me and isolate me. I went to speak to head of year, and main head teacher over the 4 years until last year I went to see the main head teacher to tell him how this parents continue to harass me and that I was not going to leave bec school was for my son. not long after this meeting my son came home complaining that he was being attacked in the playground by other children. ( many of these children were son's of the parents that took an active role in being rude) I went to the year head to complain. she said she would look into it. a week or so went by and she did not came back to me. I approached her and she responded as if she did not know what I was talking about. then she came back saying that all children had been told off and that it would happened again. there were also incidents when my son got hit by a hockey stick and the school did not inform me. For a year my son develop a limp which the hospital made scan and could not find anything. then he developed panic attacks and again took him to a hospital and they could find anything. the worse came at the during the beginning of the year when he came home after a school trip crying and upset saying that he wanted to kill his teacher because this teacher kept trying to humiliate him. "He contradicts everything I say mummy." my son said to me. I wrote to the teacher and two days later he came back with a long email excusing himself. He did not call for a meeting. I have got evidence of all emails, doctors appointments and documentation. Last week I went to see the main head to see if he had received our letter notifying him of our decision to leave the school.I was shocked at his uncaring and aloof attitude by pretending he did not know who I was. He did not ask questions apart from trying to find out where I was going. I strongly believe that the school took side with the gossiper parent and were making join efforts to make us leave the school. What is important in all of this was the abuse that they put my son through in order to make us to leave school. My son is highly academic and a very caring boy who had enjoyed friendships with other children until the parents kept those children from engaging with my son because of the gossip. I believe that regardless of the gossip the school should have taking a neutral position as they did not know what exactly happened but instead I had to face passive aggression from some of their staff members whenever I spoke to them.

Customer:

sorry about the mistakes but trying to brief a long story

Customer:

the main issue for me is not the parents as I am aware that the school can not control what they do, however it was obvious to me that the staff were making little effort to support my complain and ignoring my son's issues hoping that we would leave. furthermore the behaviour of his class teacher was unacceptable although he later began to treat my son with respect. It was obvious to me that the school supported the celebrity parents and disregarded how easy it was to segregate me as an ethnically minority person without a voice in the school.

Alex Watts : What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer:

want to see what are the chances to take the school to court for causing damaged to my son's health and confidence and their unprofessional attitude in siding with other parents to push us out of the school. we are now having to move school, houses because of their negligence and cruelty. We were paying fees just like anyone else.

Alex Watts :

Its a hard one - it would be very costly to go to Court and you wont get legal aid.

Alex Watts :

You can take the following steps:

Alex Watts :

1) Write and formally complain to the school governers.

Alex Watts :

They will have to investigate your complaint and see what comes of it

Alex Watts :

If you are unhappy with the response then you can complain to the Council

Alex Watts :

2) The Council fund schools and generally have responsibility for them

Alex Watts :

Write and complain to the Chief Executives Office and that department will investigate the complaint for you

Alex Watts :

They are independent of the school and can report back to you

Alex Watts :

3) If you are unhappy with the Council response then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are independent of the school and Council and can further investigate any complaint

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

Customer:

before i go what do i do as it is a private school and what about using the small claims court would this be possible.

Customer:

thanks!

Alex Watts :

Yes, if it is a private school you could bring a small claim

Alex Watts :

But for a small claim any claim must be LESS than £10,000

Alex Watts :

You can issue a claim online www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Customer:

ok

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my best as feel very angry that they hurt my son without caring.

Customer:

that is perfectly fine

Customer:

thanks again

Alex Watts :

Great. Please remember to leave feedback before you go and good luck

Customer:

got an appointment with solicitor to check money etc

Customer:

ok will do