29905560

I have been approached by someone claiming to be a representative

I have been approached by someone claiming to be a representative of Neptune Mergers & Acquisitions, claiming they want to buy NHSP - North Country Hospitality Inc shares from me. These are shares I bought a few years ago and have since decided I was involved in a scam. I thought the company had all but gone broke but I am being told that the US Compensation Bureau "the Government appointed Regulatory Entity (the “Regulator”) having offices at Capitol Hill,XXXXXNW, Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN USA." are willing to pay me something like $48k for shares that cost me around £2k. I thought I was going to be asked for an upfront payment but I have been told that I just have to get my claim form in by Tuesday, this is tempting but they want my bank details.
Can I pass these on without being at risk? How do I check if Neptune Mergers & Acquisitions are real and if so is their interest real - the phone calls I have had are from a Bournemouth number. I can provide all the informatiom that has been sent to me if needed.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have any further details about this company, such as where they are based, if they have a website, etc?

Customer:

I can try to copy the information I have been sent. It may take a while.

Ben Jones :

No don't wprry about it, that won't be necessary, but have they given you an address for example?

Customer:

Yes it is in New York, but that is not where the phone calls are coming from.

Ben Jones :

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check a few things on this please

Ben Jones :

I see nothing to suggest that this is genuine. First of all, the shares you initially purchased appear to be a scam, something you agree is most likely the case. I have dealt with numerous boiler room scams, as these are known by, and most of the time you are sold non-existent shares, either in fake companies or real companies, who do not even know you were supposed to invest with them. So from experience I would say that these shares are worth less than the paper they are written on. You then have to ask yourself – why would someone want to pay such a huge amount for shares that are not worth anything and were issued through a scam. Alarm bells should already be ringing.

Next, we move on to the company you have been dealing with. I have checked the New York business register and UK’s Companies House – no trace of a company with that name, they simply do not exist. They do not appear to have a website and there is nothing online to show they are a legitimate business, with any track record behind them. Also there is no such thing as the US Compensation Bureau – it is a made up organisation. The alarm bells should by now be getting louder and louder.

Finally, you may not have been asked for any money yet but to be asked for your bank details at this stage is completely unnecessary. There is absolutely no reason why they would need your bank details at this stage. Perhaps it is to ensure the compensation amount is paid directly into your bank account, but realistically is that really likely considering the above – not at all. So I suggest you give them a wide berth and certainly not disclose any personal details.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I need to know,.unless you know who I could report these guys in Bournemouth to , I have a phone number.

Ben Jones :

If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNNor by visiting http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

Customer:

Thank you and goodbye.

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best