12826847

Hi there, Im a crafter who runs my own business. I make

Customer Question

Hi there,

I'm a crafter who runs my own business. I make handbags and accessories. I'm the only staff member with no employees. I am trying to find information on using licensed fabrics. All the information I can find is contradictory. Some suggests that as long as you've signed nothing when you bought the fabric to say you won't use it for resale you can make items with it to sell as long as when listing them it is clear that they are handmade products, not endorsed by the fabric designer. E.g. "handmade head scarf made with marvel fabric" not "marvel headscarf" however other information seems to suggest that you can't use the fabric to make items to sell at all, even if listed clearly and nothing signed to say you won't use the fabric for resale. Can you please help? Thank you.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Where are you buying your fabric from and are there any terms and conditions restricting you to use the fabrics in any way?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I buy my fabric from a US seller. The seller has no terms or restrictions on how I use the fabric so any possible problem would be from the fabric designer themself, not the seller. (It sometimes states on the salvage edge of the fabric "not for manufacturing" but I've been told that that is irrelevant unless I've signed an agreement when buying the fabric to say it won't be used for manufacturing.)