How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70122
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I ask for a reduction in my rent if I can not use the garden

Customer Question

Can I ask for a reduction in my rent if I can not use the garden as it is too dangerous for my daughter to run around in due to disrepair? Thw concrete patio slabs have lifted and buckled, the back step has sunk about 1.5" and the drain has risen out of the ground at least 3". It has been like this for a year now and the agents/landlady hasn't fixed it yet in spite of it being agreed last October. To further complicate matters the landlady has now put the house on the market and I think it highly likely she won't fix it now.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are you subject to an AST ?

What would it cost to put this right please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Sorry what is an AST?

The whole patio needs lifting approx 12 slabs, then they need to dig down to investigate why the patio has sunk in two directions and the drain lifted, possibly due to a 30ft silver birch tree in the neighbours garden, then re-sit the drain and lift the step back up into original position. I don't know what hey have been quoted money wise though, sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,


Apologies again I have just realised

AST = Assured Shorthold Tenancy...

Yes we took the tenancy in July 2008 so I guess it's now a SPT (?)




Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

You are not entitled to withhold rent although as the garden is part of the property you are entitled to some kind of compensation in respect of loss of use.

It seems unlikely that the landlady is going to volunteer that money and if she does not, then you are faced with suing her in the Small Claims Court for a proportionate amount.

It is not going to be a fantastic amount of money but may account for about 5% of the rent quite simply because people spend most of their time inside the house and not running around outside.

Whether this is actionable at all not would really come down to the extent of the problem and whether it is the odd concrete slab which has lifted or moved or whether the whole garden and patio area is dangerous.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice