How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had a contract dispute for which the other party ignored

Resolved Question:

I had a contract dispute for which the other party ignored my claim so I made a claim using moneyclaim on line in September 2013. The defendant was going to defend the claim but failed to file a defence and judgement was awarded to me in Jan 2014. The defendant did not pay so I took out a warrant of control in May 2014. The defendant contacted me when they received this and offered to negotiate and admitted that they hoped i would go away. I said I expected payment in line with court judgement. They have now applied for the judgement to be put aside. It does not seem reasonable to me that they could have this set aside as they have completely ignored the court process and only reacted when warrant of control was issued. At the Set Aside hearing should i send anything in advance to the court
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

On what grounds are they trying to set aside the order?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The machine rental contract was for a period of 12 months and was with a limited company I owned. Half way through the contract we agreed verbally to change the lessor from the limited company to me personally. Payments were then made by them to my personal account and VAT was removed from the monthly charge. They now say that the contract states that changes to the contract should be in writing as stated in the contract and this change in lessee is not in writing and therefore they are not liable to pay me for six months rent they did not pay. They say they cannot pay the original limited company as it is no longer trading

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

This is not grounds to set it aside. This is a defence.

They have to prove that there is a reason to set the judgement aside and they have a reasonable defence.

They have a reasonable defence but at the moment they have no reason to apply to set it aside.

The fact that they thought you would simply go away and not pursue this is not grounds to have a judgement set aside because the way the court looks at it is that it shows disrespect for the court.

However it will be up to the judge whether the judge sets the judgement aside or not and if it does get set aside it will then go to a hearing.

At the hearing each of you will be able to present your evidence and the judge will decide the issue.

They cannot rely on what the contract says about amendments being in writing. This is not an amendment in writing this is an assignment of the benefit of the contract from the limited company to you personally and therefore in my opinion, their defence will fail if this ever gets to court

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69258
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice