12826847

I own a council flat which my ex mothering law lives in rent

I own a council flat which my ex mothering law lives in rent free .if she has to have nurseing care or go into a home am I liable for her care .I do believe she has saving of 20,000 ect.and is there any thing I can do to protected myself from this

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you mean that you have bought an ex-council flat?

What makes you think that you would be liable for your mother-in-law's care?

Do you live in the flat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my exhusband bought the council flats, i dont live in it but my Ex mothering law dose rent free I'm just had it transfered to me as part of divorce settlement.its the convayancier who said I may be liable if so is there anything I can do to protected myself

I cannot think for one moment why the conveyancer would think that you may be liable to pay for your ex mother-in-law’s care. Even natural children are not liable for parents care.

The fact that you may have provided some accommodation in the past does not give you any liability to pay for care in the future.

With regard to your ex mother-in-law’s assets, there is a disregard amount of £23,000 in any event so her £20,000 savings are ring fenced and therefore safe from the local authority with regard to the payment of care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help.it still applies if she goes into a council nursing home or has into have council care ?

Yes. It still applies. You are not responsible even for a relatives care unless of course the relative has given you massive chunks of money or sold you their house just before going into care, to avoid it being taken for payment of care fees.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/