75100385

Hi I am appealing for transport to secondary school with my

Hi I am appealing for transport to secondary school with my local council. The school that I wish my daughter to attend is not her designated school but what we believed to be the closer school and one which for at least the last 20 years children from the village have been granted. It seems last year they changed their policy without any notification to parents who have been granted transport in the past to a sibling. They have re calculated the route and now insist this school is no longer our closest school and we no longer qualify for transport. Their website states they measure the distances from the most suitable walking route which I believe would make this school nearer but they are insisting they measure it via the most suitable driving distance. Last year they let a couple of other school children have free travel to this school despite changing the policy but said this was a one off under exceptional circumstances.

Do I have any chance of winning a legal appeal against them? 

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is this a council funded school please?
Customer:

Yes It is council funded school they pay for the children to go on a public bus to the school we have chosen and a private bus to the designated school.

Alex Watts : Has anyone been granted travel which would not be entitled to it?
Customer:

They changed the policy last year and under exceptional circumstances let 2 siblings from one family have a place on the bus last September 2013. I'm not sure excatly when the routes was recalculated whether this was before or after these children had been accepted at the school where i want my daughter to go and recieved free transport. For about 20 years before this the council had said this particaulr school was closer so have been providing transport to it for all that time. We have had no notification that the council now dispute this our nearest school and withdrawn the offer of transport.

Alex Watts :

Ok - you can write and appeal the decision

Alex Watts :

If they turn it down then you can write and complain to the Chief Officers Office at the Council

Alex Watts :

They will investigate your complaint

Alex Watts :

If you are not satisfied with the outcome then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are independent and offer a free service. Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

Customer:

last question as all my appeals have failed so far and it looks like were going to the ombudsman is there anything else i can do if the ombudsman rule in their favour. Can they state one way of measuring a distance to the public and measure it in a completely different way thanks

Alex Watts :

You could only try a Judicial Review which is a High Court procedure which is very expensive.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

yes thanks very much great service

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience