75100385

I phoned a company and was put through to someone who seemed

Customer Question

I phoned a company and was put through to someone who seemed to understand what I was saying regarding my CICA application, which I sent to them over 2 years ago. It concerns historical abuse and is very complex. It took me 6 years to compile my application which includes artwork as I am a professional artist. I wrote my statements for the CICA with the help of Victim Support after reporting the abuse to the police in 2005. They rejected my application after a few months, I appealed with the support of the police and Victim Support in September 2012 and since then it has been "in a queue awaiting assessment by a Senior Decision Maker". this has gone on so long that in March 2014 I contacted a Legal Firm who I understood specialised in No Win No Fee Compensation Claims with the CICA. I explained everything to the woman I was put through to whom I thought was a solicitor. She seemed to know a lot about the CICA and encouraged me to go ahead with her but I have since discovered that she is not a solicitor but a litigation executive. In the two months since I have been in communication with her (and I have signed the 4 Contingency Agreement forms covering the 4 claims) I have been increasingly concerned that she seems vague and does not remember key points of our initial discussion or various essential points of my overall application. She has now applied to the CICA for an interim payment and has said that if they do not respond within 2 weeks they will be making a formal complaint. I am worried that this Litigation Executive does not seem to have got the key points of my case, enquiring only a few days ago on the phone (when I had to check out several errors in her most recent letter to me) why I did not go to the police after the incidents at age 17. Being fully aware of the 2-year limit for reporting an incident to the police, I have since re-read all my written statements and it is very clear why I was unable to go any earlier to the police than I did. Further more the CICA have obviously passed through this hurdle for my case to have progressed through all the levels to a Senior Assessor. This makes me concerned as to whether or not the "Litigation Executive" has actually read all the material I have sent her, which is a duplicate of what has been sent to the CICA. I am seriously worried that I was too hasty in engaging this "Litigation Executive" and whether she is capable of either properly understanding my case or of having taken due time to read and ingest all the written statements I have sent her. I do not know what is the difference between a "litigation executive" and a solicitor, or whether I should be thinking of taking back my case from this person and trying to find a solicitor instead. This is my life and my life's work. Due to the long-term damage of the abuse to me I have not been able to work for many years and am in dire financial trouble as a result. Yet the Litigation Executive during my phone call to her last Thursday casually asked whether they have applied for an interim payment to the CICA
yet. It was the fact that I was fobbed off two months ago in applying to the CICA myself for an interim payment that led me to seek legal representation, all of which was discussed with the Litigation Executive. ~The gist of this is that my confidence in this person has been diminished during my 2-month communication. What can I do? I do not know what is reasonable to expect and If removing my case from her and her company involved any cost I would not be able to pay any money. Please can you advise me. Thank you. VMD

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : In the initial client care letter, it should say what they are qualified as and who their supervisor is, does it?